Left Right
button
button
button
button
button
Feb 24 '20, 23:27:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: [NSFW?] What Jungle Fire really looks like.  (Read 80448 times)
Kael
Master

« Reply #50 on: Jan 09 '07, 20:25:08 »

Are you saying barbarians never get aggressive?
Anker Steadfast
Themaphobe
Veteran

Beer and Wenches

« Reply #51 on: Jan 09 '07, 20:29:08 »

Hardly, but Anker isn't very aggressive per sé .. he fights lots, sure .. but more for the fun of it, than out of anger.
On the other hand, barbarians would probably be quite a different race if they were not aggressive.

Besides, I'm obviously a Themaphobe. Wink

Anker Steadfast
Barbarian Warrior
Innoruuk Server
(Retired)
Kael
Master

« Reply #52 on: Jan 09 '07, 20:31:17 »

I'd say fighting counts as aggressive, regardless of the motivation Wink

Ferenabu aren't angry when they hunt, for example. It's the action, not the emotion.
Anker Steadfast
Themaphobe
Veteran

Beer and Wenches

« Reply #53 on: Jan 09 '07, 21:12:46 »

So, when they tumble and wrestle for fun (as in playing around), they get sterile ?

Anker Steadfast
Barbarian Warrior
Innoruuk Server
(Retired)
Kael
Master

« Reply #54 on: Jan 09 '07, 21:18:46 »

I suppose it depends on how rough'n'tumble they get, and how often.
Anker Steadfast
Themaphobe
Veteran

Beer and Wenches

« Reply #55 on: Jan 09 '07, 21:22:29 »

... that's a scary thought .... "Kids, get back inside the tent, it's dangerous for you to play outside in the good weather." !!

Anker Steadfast
Barbarian Warrior
Innoruuk Server
(Retired)
Kael
Master

« Reply #56 on: Jan 09 '07, 21:26:41 »

/bonk

They don't stay sterile. They mellow out a little and they can have offspring again.
Anker Steadfast
Themaphobe
Veteran

Beer and Wenches

« Reply #57 on: Jan 09 '07, 21:31:28 »

Oh .. thank the gods then!

I was getting really scared there.
Means Anker is in the green zone once again.

laugh

Anker Steadfast
Barbarian Warrior
Innoruuk Server
(Retired)
Feydir
I'd rather be Picard
Veteran

Back in formation

« Reply #58 on: Jan 09 '07, 21:43:52 »

Soo...A good fere contraceptive is to beat the crap out of someone once or twice a day?
Kael
Master

« Reply #59 on: Jan 09 '07, 21:45:45 »

*snicker* If you like to put it that way.
« Last Edit: Jan 09 '07, 21:47:39 by Kael » Logged
Anker Steadfast
Themaphobe
Veteran

Beer and Wenches

« Reply #60 on: Jan 09 '07, 21:50:14 »

.. that must make for some *really* interesting relationships.
Lots of S/M going around I reckon.

Anker Steadfast
Barbarian Warrior
Innoruuk Server
(Retired)
Kael
Master

« Reply #61 on: Jan 09 '07, 21:53:37 »

You presume much.

The male is not the only party with a say in fere reproduction.
Anker Steadfast
Themaphobe
Veteran

Beer and Wenches

« Reply #62 on: Jan 09 '07, 22:00:18 »

True enough.

Besides, the S/M theory has a serious flaw as well .. the Fere are a mellowed out bunch by breeding, so they might know what it is, but it's not very realistic they'd be intrigued by it at all. So that angle is probably out the window.

On a tangent though, lets say a short war happens ... how long after such a thing would the male Fere's be unable to sire kittens ?
Because from a nature standpoint, that could be a serious survival inhibitant, should the period be too long.

Random thoughts ..

... period ... Male menopause ... male PMS ?

Anker Steadfast
Barbarian Warrior
Innoruuk Server
(Retired)
Kael
Master

« Reply #63 on: Jan 09 '07, 22:04:52 »

Fere don't do war. Not organized enough Grin

And yes, it'd be a survival inhibitant if the period were too long.
Anker Steadfast
Themaphobe
Veteran

Beer and Wenches

« Reply #64 on: Jan 09 '07, 22:09:16 »

Fere don't start wars ... but what if others (such as humans or Thralls) starts it and corners them ... in other words, leaves them no choice but to fight?

And you haven't decided how long such a period would be, right? Grin

Anker Steadfast
Barbarian Warrior
Innoruuk Server
(Retired)
Kael
Master

« Reply #65 on: Jan 09 '07, 22:14:22 »

Have you tried to corner a herd of cats? Go on, try it Grin

Beyond that, you just have to read the comic to find out Wink
Kael
Master

« Reply #66 on: Jan 09 '07, 22:16:13 »

BTW, I figured I'd elaborate a bit on something: fere females concealed ovulation cycles are longer than human ovulation cycle, and the females can also select whether to allow conception. The female really controls when they become pregnant, and fere mating is a social act not an act strictly aimed for reproduction. With the fere tendency have sex anytime, anywhere, and with anyone, it's sometimes sort of hard to figure out who the sire of a kitten is. Fere don't form relationships based on reproduction.
Anker Steadfast
Themaphobe
Veteran

Beer and Wenches

« Reply #67 on: Jan 09 '07, 22:25:14 »

Interesting .. mental contraceptives, kinda neat I must say. Grin

On a side note - I reckon the female fere can have multiple kittens in one pregnancy ... ie. a litter.
But, can the kittens of one litter have different fathers ?

That would make things a bit hard to keep track of parentship, even if they don't put much stock in it they are a curious bunch, so eventually a kitten would try and figure out who was the sire, if nothing else then out of curiosity ... right?

laugh

Anker Steadfast
Barbarian Warrior
Innoruuk Server
(Retired)
Jerelyn
Administrator
Master

« Reply #68 on: Jan 09 '07, 22:45:03 »

Nope, no litters.  Possibly twins, like with humans. 

And no, I don't think a kitten would care, unless there were some specific reason why that knowledge was important...but I can't think of any reason it would matter in fere culture.  They are curious, yes, but if there wasn't an easy answer, they wouldn't pursue it. "Mom, do you know which of those guys sired me" "I think it was either Tom, Dick, or Hairy, but I'm not sure which." "Oh ok."

There comes a point where they no longer care who their mother is, either.  Nor does a mother care who their child is. 

*peers at gatherum entry* It occurs to me that some stuff in there is worded such that it might imply that they do have a more traditional family unit. And in some ways this is true, but it isn't really biological parents. It is usually biological mother + <father> + entire community , where <father> covers any adult fere (or half-elf, in Foxeye's case), who takes  personal interest in teaching a kitten.  Their role is usually not so much that of nurturing, but of teaching/guiding/whacking-on-the-nose. There can be more than one father per kitten. Sometime they are the biological father, sometime they are a close friend of the mother, and sometimes they are just another adult who really likes the kid for whatever reason. 

Definitely takes a whole village to raise a kitten.  The little buggers tire you out!

Zyrusticae
Fledgling

« Reply #69 on: Jan 10 '07, 21:51:56 »

Thanks for the welcome, y'all. *Waves*

I must admit, I find this whole topic fascinating.

I, myself, have wrestled a bit with anthro designs and the logic behind them. 8 teats, for example, makes sense with a quadruped that doesn't often have to carry its own children, whereas it makes absolutely no sense at all with a biped. Laying on one's side all the time, I imagine, can get pretty uncomfortable after a fashion, and the human anatomy (or any human-like anatomy) isn't really built for carrying multiple children at once.

Stuff like that's fun to think about at times. Can scare people if one gets too detailed, though.  Tongue

There comes a point where they no longer care who their mother is, either.  Nor does a mother care who their child is. 
That's some interesting info right there. I was admittedly rather confused about the way the supposedly biological mother really didn't seem to care at all about the father's missing presence. I wonder... if a human child were to be raised in such an environment... Hmm... Well, there's some food for thought.

...mental contraceptives.
Oh, wow... How I wish humans had such a thing...  laugh
Kael
Master

« Reply #70 on: Jan 11 '07, 01:21:04 »

Yar, it can scare people... but it's a thought process that goes on when you try to figure out the why of how a species evolved the way it did. Which works hand-in-hand with creating an entirely new species, and it's the level of detail a lot of the world of Jungle Fire has been worked out to.

Going on a tangent a little bit... when we were creating, say, the ferenabu, we looked at the various species in the real world, and what our current understanding is of their evolution. Especially human evolution, since we don't really have too many real-world examples of species that evolved to be upright. Despite being a different species, Ferenabu look a lot like humans. Part of this is that we wanted them to look human, obviously, but another part is that we're going off of the assumption that some physiological traits present in humans are the best evolutionary solution for an upright species. Such as the shape of the ribcage and where arms are in relation to the trunk.

Yeah, we could've easily gone into a totally different direction with the ferenabu or the thrall, but is there a reason why the physiological evolution of these species would not follow a path similar to human evolution? Given the premises of these species, we couldn't think of anything... and therefore, ultimately, we chose to have animal people who share physical traits with humans.
« Last Edit: Jan 11 '07, 01:23:26 by Kael » Logged
Jerelyn
Administrator
Master

« Reply #71 on: Jan 11 '07, 01:33:16 »

That's some interesting info right there. I was admittedly rather confused about the way the supposedly biological mother really didn't seem to care at all about the father's missing presence.

Cheesy  Cool. The whole point of that exchange was to evoke just that reaction.  

Oh, and incidentally, we know Rak's the dad of Iri because there was no other male around at the time.
Kael
Master

« Reply #72 on: Jan 11 '07, 01:37:57 »

Oh, and incidentally, we know Rak's the dad of Iri because there was no other male around at the time.

Ferenabu male anyway. We don't do cross-species reproduction.
Feydir
I'd rather be Picard
Veteran

Back in formation

« Reply #73 on: Jan 11 '07, 01:52:25 »

But wait....If Fere don't care who the father is......How would they ever enjoy the Maury Show?! The panicle of human daytime entertainment!

You are NOT the father
Anker Steadfast
Themaphobe
Veteran

Beer and Wenches

« Reply #74 on: Jan 11 '07, 21:06:40 »

..... I've never enjoyed the Maury Show!  Sad

Anker Steadfast
Barbarian Warrior
Innoruuk Server
(Retired)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4